(Total Approx. time: 30-40 minutes)
INGREDIENTS (Makes 20 pieces)
- 2-3 cups red or yellow dhal (lentils)
- 1-2 finely cut red chilies
- 6-8 curry leaves
- crushed chili
- 1/2 tsp cummin seeds
- 2 cups vegetable oil
* Wash the dhal, let it soak in a bowl of water for 2-3 hours
* Chop chillies and curry leaves
- Drain the dhal well, removing all water with a paper towel, and grind well.
- Add in smashed cumin seeds, salt, pepper, crushed chilli and chopped curry leaves.
- Mix well until all ingredients make a thick paste.
- Make small ball-shaped pieces, about 4cm wide, and flatten to make a vadai shape.
- In a deep frying pan, heat the oil and prepare for frying.
- Gently slip each piece into the oil, about 2-4 pieces at a time.
- When it turns a yellow/light brown color.