(Total time approx. 1hr20mins)
INGREDIENTS (makes 8-12 pieces)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250g grated carrot
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 185g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice**
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnut
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1-2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp grated ginger
** To make your own mixed spice, grind together 3-5 cloves, 3-5 cardamon, a small cinnamon stick and small amount of nutmeg (it’s called “sadickka” in Sinhala)
* Pre-heat oven at 180degrees
* Line baking pan with baking paper
* Chop hazelnuts and cashew nuts
* Wash and grate carrot, orange rind and ginger
COOKING METHOD (~50mins):
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Add vanilla, carrot, orange rind and oil, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add bicarb soda, baking powder, mixed spice and flour, mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Add hazelnuts and fold in with a spatula.
- Pour into centre of baking pan and let it spread out.
- Place baking ban on a water tray for the oven, to help it bake consistantly
- Place into oven and let it bake for 30-40 mins.