INGREDIENTS (Makes 1-2 servings)
- 1/2 cup white or red (or mixed white and red )
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cardamoms (Optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 banana leaf
- Wash the rice and put into rice cooker, add water, salt and crushed cardamoms
- When cooked half-way, about 10 mins, add the coconut milk and stir, and continue cooking until done
- With a rice spoon / spatula, place rice onto serving plate with banana leaf. Flatten out to about 1.5-2.5cm and cut diagonally into diamond shapes
- Serve with seeni symbol (onion sambol) or coconut sambol
You can add mung beans to this recipe for a healthier, nutritious variation. Mung beans are a high source of manganese, potassium, magnesium, folate, copper, zinc and various B vitamins.
First, soak mung beans in water for 4-5 hours, then add them to the rice cooker at the start of cooking and proceed as above.
For a sweet variation, toast 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut then add 1/4-1/2 cup of honey, 1 crushed cardamom and 1 tsp sugar, mix well. When the kiri bath has cooled down, pour this mixture over the top and flatten out. Then cut diagonally, into diamond shapes.