3 garlic cloves
1. 1 tbs raw cummin powder
2. 1+1/2tsp raw coriander powder
3. 1+1/2tsp chilli powder
4. 1+1/4tsp salt
5. curry leaves
6. Pandan leaf (rampe)
7. Lemon grass (sera)
200-300 ml coconut milk
2 tsps oil (coconut / olive / vegetable)
1/2 cup water
25 g raw rice
25 g desiccated coconut
Chopped chives and/or paprika/chilli powder
PREPARATION (~35mins-1 night):
* Wash and cut the chicken into small sizes, roughly around the same size (this helps everything cook evenly)
* Add all the spices to the chicken, mix and let it marinate for at least 15mins (30mins-1hour is better, letting it marinate overnight is the best)
* Roast raw rice on pan, until brown (high heat for about 5 mins), then lower heat and add coconut. Roast for a few minutes. When ready, grind with a 1/4 cup water, then set aside.
NOTE: Rice takes longer than coconut to roast, so to avoid burning, roast the rice first.
* Mash garlic and ginger, cut onions
In a pan, heat oil and add onions, garlic, ginger until brown, add curry leaves, Pandan leaf (rampe) and Lemon Grass (sera) and cook on medium-high heat for about 3-5 mins.
In a separate pot, cook chicken on medium-high heat until brown on one side, about 8minutes. Then add the ingredients from the pan.
Turn pot to low simmering heat and add coconut milk, cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20minutes
Add chopped chives and/or paprika powder for garnish